Saturday, March 13, 2010

Blog Post #3

Many people think that technology is getting out of hand. Movies like iRobot and shows like Caprica depict humans one day even being subservient to our technological creations. While I acknowledge that most of this speculation tells a good story, I cannot help but imagine a world where this is not only likely, but inevitable. I might preach that I could agree with those who think technology is getting out of control, but I that would make me a hypocrite. Since my major is Computer Science and Engineering, I plan on being one of those doe eyed idiots who unknowingly creates man's next big threat. For now at least, technology has yet to peak, and is still growing at a controllable and beneficial rate. However, its still interesting, and slightly terrifying, to imagine the day when we take artificial intelligence a tad too far and create a electronic being that can literally, think, decide, reason, and act of its own accord. But a thinking robot alone will not end up being our downfall. What will truly cause an upheaval of power is a robot with emotions. Yes, a robot with emotions would cause a huge problem, especially one that exhibited desire and ambition. When that day comes will be the day I actually start to worry about the monsters we have created.

No comments:

Post a Comment